SCO has filed with the SEC two more amendments to the Asset Purchase Agreement, Exhibit 99.1 Amendment No. 2 (dated October 16, 1996) and Exhibit 99.2 Technology License Agreement (dated September 19, 1995) both amending the Asset Purchase Agreement between Novell, Inc. and The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc. They add this information as well:
Additionally, The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc. filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission a Current Report on Form 8-K on December 21, 1995 (File No. 0-21484) in which the following agreements were filed together as Exhibit 2.1 and are publicly available:
• The Asset Purchase Agreement; and
• Amendment No. 1 to Asset Purchase Agreement dated December 6, 1995 between Novell, Inc. and The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc.
Copies of these agreements, which are not attached to this Current Report on Form 8-K, may be obtained by contacting [redacted].
I edited the contact information so the poor girl doesn't get spammed by bots, but you can find it in the original document filed with the SEC, should you wish to write. We have the Asset Purchase Agreement, so there is no need to write to request that. Amendment 2 makes reference to Amendment X, which can be found as text here. And here are both of the newly filed documents, Exhibits 99-1 and 99-2. I have highlighted the parts that leap off the page as being of interest.
AMENDMENT No. 2 TO THE ASSET PURCHASE AGREEMENT
As of the 16 th day of October, 1996, the September 19, 1995 Asset Purchase Agreement (the "Agreement") between Novell, Inc. ("Novell") and The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc. ("SCO") is amended in the following respects. A. With respect to Schedule 1.1(b) of the Agreement, titled "Excluded Assets", Section V, Subsection A shall be revised to read:
All copyrights and trademarks, except for the copyrights and trademarks owned by Novell as of the date of the Agreement required for SCO to exercise its rights with respect to the acquisition of UNIX and UnixWare technologies. However, in no event shall Novell be liable to SCO for any claim brought by any third party pertaining to said copyrights and trademarks.
B. Except as provided in Section C below, and notwithstanding the provisions of Article 4.16, Sections (b) and (c) of the Agreement, any potential transaction with an SVRX licensee which concerns a buy-out of any such licensee's royalty obligations shall be managed as follows:
1. Should either party become aware of any such potential transaction, it will immediately notify the other in writing.
2. Any meetings and/or negotiations with the licensee will be attended by both parties, unless agreed otherwise. Novell's participation will be by personnel who are engaged in corporate business development.
3. Any written proposal to be presented to the licensee, including drafts and final versions of any proposed amendments to the SVRX licenses, will be consented to by both parties prior to its delivery to the licensee, unless agreed otherwise.
4. Prior to either parties' unilateral determination as to the suitability of any potential buy-out transaction, the parties will meet face to face and analyze the potential merits and disadvantages of the transaction. No such transaction will be concluded unless the execution copy of the amendment is consented to in writing by both parties, and either party will have the unilateral right to withhold its consent should it judge, for any reason whatsoever, the transaction to be contrary to its economic interests and/or its business plans and strategy.
5. This Amendment does not give Novell the right to increase any SVRX licensee's rights to SVRX source code, nor does it give Novell the right to grant new SVRX source code licenses. In addition, Novell may not prevent SCO from exercising its rights with respect to SVRX source code in accordance with the Agreement.
6. The parties agree that no member of Novell's sales force will receive a bonus, commission, quota attainment credit, or other type of sales incentive as a result of the buy-out of an SVRX license.
C. Novell may execute a buy-out with a licensee without any approval or involvement of SCO, and will no longer be bound by any of the requirements stated in Section B. above, if: (i) SCO ceases to actively and aggressively market SCO's UNIX platforms; or (ii) upon a change of control of SCO as stated in schedule 6.3(g) of the Agreement.
D. Novell and SCO agree to indemnify and hold harmless the other from and against any and all losses, liabilities, judgments, and costs incurred ("Liability") if either causes the other to incur Liability under Section 10 of Amendment No. X to Software Agreement SOFT-00015 as amended, Sublicensing Agreement SUB-00015A as amended, Software Agreement SOFT-00015 Supplement No. 170 as amended, and Substitution Agreement XPER-00015B ("Amendment No. X"). [emphasis added]
In witness whereof, the parties have executed this Amendment No. 2 to be signed by their duly authorized representatives as of the date first written above.
THE SANTA CRUZ OPERATION, INC.
/s/ STEVEN M. SABBATH
Name: Steven M. Sabbath
Vice President Law & Corporate Affairs
/s/ JAMES R. TOLONEN
James R. Tolonen
EVP & CFO
TECHNOLOGY LICENSE AGREEMENT
This Agreement is made between Novell, Inc. ("NOVELL"), a Delaware corporation, and The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc. ("SCO"), a California corporation. The effective date of this Agreement shall be the Closing Date of the Asset Purchase Agreement.
WHEREAS, pursuant to the Asset Purchase Agreement, NOVELL shall be entitled to retain and to exercise, after the Closing Date, certain licenses for Licensed Technology, including related documentation and support.
NOW, THEREFORE, for mutual consideration, the adequacy and sufficiency of which are acknowledged, the parties agree as follows:
For purposes of this Agreement:
"Asset Purchase Agreement" means the September 19, 1995 Asset Purchase Agreement between NOVELL and SCO, as amended by Amendment No. 1 to the Asset Purchase Agreement dated as of December 6, 1995.
"Assigned Vendor Agreement" means an agreement (i) originally entered into by NOVELL, or a predecessor in interest of NOVELL, for the acquisition of software to be incorporated into or bundled with Licensed Technology, and (ii) imposing payment obligations on NOVELL that were assumed by SCO under the Asset Purchase Agreement.
The terms "Assets", "Change of Control", "Closing Date", "Licensed Technology" and "Transitional Contracts" shall have the respective meanings attributed to such terms in the Asset Purchase Agreement.
II. NOVELL'S RETAINED LICENSES
A. Effective upon the Closing Date and in connection with the transfer of the Assets by NOVELL to SCO pursuant to the Asset Purchase Agreement, NOVELL hereby retains, with the consent of SCO and, shall have a non-exclusive, non-terminable, world-wide, fee-free license to
(1) use, reproduce and modify, and authorize its customers to use, reproduce and modify, Licensed Technology (including related documentation) in their respective internal business operations; and
(2) subject to paragraphs B and C of this Section II, to sublicense and distribute, and authorize its customers to sublicense and distribute, such Licensed Technology and modifications thereof, in source and binary form; provided, however, that (i) such technology and modifications may be sublicensed and/or distributed by NOVELL solely as part of a bundled or integrated offering ("Composite Offering"); (ii) such Composite Offering shall not be directly competitive with core application server offerings of SCO, and (iii) the Licensed Technology shall not constitute a primary portion of the value of such Composite Offering. SCO understands and acknowledges that such restrictions on sublicensing and/or distribution shall not affect any rights specifically retained by NOVELL under the Asset Purchase Agreement, including but not limited to rights under Transitional Contracts. [emphasis added]
B. In the event of a Change of Control of SCO, and commencing with the effective date of such Change of Control, the proviso in subparagraph IIA(2) setting forth restrictions on the sublicense and/or distribution of Licensed Technology and modifications thereof shall cease to exist.
C. In the event of a Change of Control of NOVELL, and commencing with the effective date of such Change of Control, the term "Composite Offering" in the proviso of subparagraph IIA(2) above shall be restricted to bundled and integrated offerings of NOVELL or its customers, as the case may be, that have been developed or substantially developed as of the effective date of such Change of Control.
As between NOVELL and SCO:
(1) Ownership of Licensed Technology shall reside in SCO.
(2) Ownership of any modifications made to Licensed Technology pursuant to the licenses specified in Section II above shall reside in NOVELL.
IV. REIMBURSEMENT TO SCO FOR CERTAIN PAYMENT OBLIGATIONS
In the event that the exercise of any of NOVELL's licenses specified in Section II above results in an obligation on the part of SCO to remit any payment to a third party under an Assigned Vendor Agreement, NOVELL shall reimburse SCO for the amount of any such payment remitted by SCO to such third party.
With respect to any version or load of the "Eiger" product forming part of the Licensed Technology, SCO shall provide to NOVELL a reasonable degree of support to assist NOVELL's licensing activities pursuant to Section II above.
VI. DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY
THE PARTIES AGREE THAT LICENSED TECHNOLOGY IS PROVIDED "AS IS". ANY AND ALL WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND WHATSOEVER WITH RESPECT TO LICENSED TECHNOLOGY, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND/OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND WARRANTIES AGAINST INFRINGEMENT OF ANY THIRD PARTY PROPRIETARY RIGHT, ARE EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMED AND EXCLUDED.
A. Neither party hereto may assign this Agreement or any of its rights hereunder to any other person or entity without the prior written consent of the other party; provided, however, that either party may assign its rights and delegate its obligations under this Agreement to its corporate parent, another subsidiary of such parent, or a third party transferee of substantially the entire portion of such party's business to which this agreement relates.
B. Subject to Paragraph A of this Section, this Agreement shall be binding upon and shall inure to the benefit of the successors and permitted assigns of NOVELL and SCO and is not intended to confer upon any other person any rights or remedies hereunder.
VIII. ENTIRE AGREEMENT
This Agreement and the Asset Purchase Agreement constitute the entire understanding between the parties with respect to its subject matter, and supersede all prior understandings, both written and oral, between them relating to such subject matter.
IX. NO WAIVER
No waiver, modification or amendment of any provision of this Agreement shall be effective unless made in writing and signed by duly authorized representatives of both parties.
X. GOVERNING LAW
This Agreement shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the substantive laws of California.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the parties have executed this Agreement through their duly authorized representatives on the respective dates indicated below.
/s/ R. DUFF THOMPSON
Title: Senior Vice President-Corporate Development
THE SANTA CRUZ OPERATION, INC.
/s/ ALOK MOHAN
Title: Chief Executive Officer
Date: December 6, 1995
Date: December 6, 1995